POLICE are hunting an attacker who mugged two elderly women in broad daylight in Poole last week.
The two incidents – which are now being linked by police – took place on Thursday and Friday in The Avenue, Branksome Park.
Both victims were taken to hospital as a result of the incidents.
As previously reported, on Thursday, an 89-year-old woman was attacked around 2.30pm, pushed to the ground and had her handbags and its contents snatched.
On Friday, a 91-year-old woman was robbed in the same area around 2pm and also knocked to the floor.
A spokesperson for Dorset Police said both victims remain in hospital, being treated for a broken arm and fractured pelvis.
Police have issued a description of the attacker saying he is of a medium build, possibly in late teens to early 20s, around 5ft10 to around 6ft tall with dark hair.
He was wearing a dark jacket and dark trousers.
Both victims had their handbags with purses and personal items stolen.
Nothing has yet been recovered.
In response to the frightening incidents police have increased patrols in the area to provide reassurance to people.
Leader of the Borough of Poole, Cllr Elaine Atkinson, described the attacks as “horrendous and callous”.
She said: “I would just encourage anyone with information to report it to the police, and for residents in the area to keep themselves as safe as possible.
“The police and the Safer Poole Partnership will be giving advice and information in the wake of these awful crimes. The area also has a fantastic Neighbourhood Watch and I'm sure they will also be issuing advice.”
Cllr Atkinson said the police will be doing “everything they can” to find the perpetrators.
“It's very shocking to hear about it”, she added.
On Thursday, armed officers were threatened with an axe at a property in Bournemouth Road, Parkstone while making inquiries about the first vicious mugging.
ingle-use plastic bags will be the target of the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors when it meets at 9 a.m. Tuesday at the county administration building, 105 E. Anapamu St., in Santa Barbara.
The board will discuss how the county could develop an ordinance regulating the use of plastic carryout bags and how the ordinance would be enforced. Members also will decide on a budget for modifying the final environmental impact report provided to the county by the Beach Erosion Authority for Clean Oceans and Nourishment (BEACON) if the effort moves forward.
The supervisors voted May 17 to provide $35,000 in 2013-14 general fund money to develop a draft ordinance and modify BEACON’s environmental impact report.
According to the county staff report, an estimated 20 billion single-use plastic bags are used each year in California, including about 658 million in Santa Barbara and Ventura counties, which were the target of BEACON’s environmental impact report.
Statewide proposals to ban single-use bags in 2012 — Assembly Bill 298 and Senate Bill 568 — both failed to reach the ballot.
This year, SB 405 authored is making its way through the senate and assembly.
Seventy-six cities and counties throughout the state have ordinances banning the plastic bags. In Santa Barbara, Santa Luis Obispo and Ventura counties, only San Luis Obispo County and the cities of Carpinteria and Ojai have implemented ordinances.
The board will also consider adoption of an ordinance to revise Laguna County Sanitation District service charges and connection fees.
The proposed 11 percent rate hike would raise a typical household’s monthly bill by approximately $5.99, or $54.08 annually.
Four people were arrested during the raid.
Click on their website www.hotmkbags.com for more information.